Tint Removal

Andy Makim makima at macewan.ca
Thu Jul 31 07:26:31 EDT 2014

There we go, thanks for correcting me on that.

I'll have to try the plastic bag trick, that sounds even easier!

Andy

>>> UtilityCow <utilitycow at gmail.com> 07/30/14 5:40 PM >>>
I worked at a custom car shop that did tint way back in high school. About the only thing I did was strip tint and other menial jobs. I know you said you don't want to DIY but it's not hard. You could always call a mobile tint guy too. I had my truck done today while at work.
 In case anyone is interested, the process I learned was:
 Add a few drops of Dawn to a spray bottle of water. No chemicals needed.
 Cut a black trash bag open so it's one layer.
 Spray your soapy water on the tint then spread the trash bag on the window and try to get out the bubbles as best you can.
 Let sit in the sun for a few minutes as the water penetrates the tint. The plastic tint is porous and will allow the water through and the heat helps to soften the glue.
 You have to get the timing right as to when to start peeling. Wait too long and the water dries out. Just reapply and cover with the trash bag. I just stripped my truck the other day (in the Florida sun) and was left with minimal glue to scrape. If you still have glue, just spray and cover again.
 The other comment about scrubbing the defroster was correct. We used soapy water and steel wool. Scrub "with the grain" not across. The water trash bag trick avoided peeling off the leads.
 And never, ever, use ammonia window cleaner on your tint unless you're trying to ruin it. I don't know that it will help loosen the glue, but it sure will make it hard to see through.