electric power steering

Steve Hirsch shirsch at ptc.com
Mon Jul 28 18:56:22 EDT 2014

Thought I'd pose this here while the list is enjoying a spike of activity. (That and I'm not really
active in any current forums.)

The general conclusion I draw from reading reviews and approximately zero experience is that
electrical PS systems suck because they lack feedback. This seems to be the case across segments,
whether the cars be sporty or appliance.

I've been struggling to understand why.  C&D did a article on this a year or 2 ago but it didn't
really help me much.  As I understand it, hydraulic PS systems use hydraulic pressure to push the
steering rack in one direction or the other when the rack is off center, and when the rack is on
center then the system pushes neither way.  Why can't electric systems produce the same type of
assist?  Why are they necessarily numb?

Feel free to ignore if this is too much for one day!  :-)

-steve