Hypercos and Road Magnets

Matthew McCrary mattmccrary at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 18:57:57 CDT 2011

>From what I *read* about the Gen 1 Hypercoils, the combination of the huge
drop and soft springs caused excessive wear on bump stops and obviously the
jarring ride and potential loss of control that goes with that..

Gen 2's were known as the "perfect" spring for spirited daily driving. I
have had great luck with them paired with my shortened koni's and sway
bars..

*Hyperco Gen1*
front spring rate (progressive) 110-180 rear spring rate (progressive)
75-174
front drop 1.40" rear drop 1.25"
*Hyperco Gen2 *
front spring rate (progressive) 110-290 rear spring rate (progressive)
75-200
front drop 1.00"  rear drop 1.00"
Road Magnet:
front spring rate (linear) 325 rear spring rate (linear) 250
front drop 1.25"  rear drop 1.00"

On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:32 PM, Eric Waterman <eric.waterman at gmail.com>wrote:

> The Hyperco springs were a custom batch made only for the SR20forum.  They
> were never sold to retailers, and I think there was only 2 batches of the
> 2nd gen (300f/200r) and 1 of the 1st gen (spring rates unknown).  The 1st
> gen springs were too low, so the 2nd gen springs were made with the rates
> that Mike Kojima specd.  The 2nd gen springs also say Gen2 on the coils.
> The only way to buy them now, is to find a used set.
>
> I have no info about the roadmagnet springs.
>
> Eric Waterman
>
>  On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Darren Calbero <DarrenC at ampartners.com>wrote:
>
>>   So I need to replace my old worn out Eibachs which were decent once
>> upon a time but have been very poor for several years now.  Road Magnets and
>> Hypercos have garnered much praise on the forums so rather than redoing my
>> strut assemblies using a set of used Ground Controls, I am looking at simply
>> replacing my prokits.
>>
>> Over on the Hyperco website which I think is www.hypercoils.com, there is
>> no listing for cars, just part #s.  Is the website correct for the Hypercos
>> that are so popular with forum users?  Has anyone ordered directly from them
>> and if so, how did you know what to order?
>>
>> At www.roadmagnet.com there is a listing of sorts for the B13 lowering
>> springs but does anyone know if this is the same set sold by a forum member
>> with 1.25" front w/a spring rate of 325 and 1" rear w/a spring rate of 250?
>> The product page only calls out a 1.3" drop which concerns me.  $270 seems
>> like a decent price but only if it's actual performance springs.
>>
>> TIA,
>> DC

thanks,

Matt McCrary