tire wear, wheel bearings

Larry Martin bizznzman at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 09:39:07 CST 2010

Twice now, during the safety lane checks on the car, the "mechanic" has said there was loose play in the vertical test.  Each time I told the guy to show me and, to tell the truth, there was some slight movement (no noise of any kind though) on the right front.  And both times I told them to tighten the end nut to torque spec which is 150#.  After the look of shock and disappointment left his face, no further "problem" so no wheel bearing repair.  Maybe, even with the cotter pin in, there is some stretching going on over the years in the stub or ?  I did have one actual wheel bearing go bad on the left front about ten years ago but it was loud and obvious.

Larry Martin

Date: Monday, November 22, 2010, 8:43 AM

If you still have the axle nut tight, the hub will be tight, even with a dead bearing.  One of the front bearings on my B13 was dead, and it was still tight when I moved it.  Once I removed the brake and took the axle nut off, the hub fell of the car.  It was making a ton of noise, but did not wiggle.

Eric Waterman