low-use oil change intervals

Larry Martin bizznzman at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 13:08:48 CDT 2010

I called a tech down at Royal Purple about a year ago with some questions like this.  His advice on a standing engine was that a the oil would likely be OK (no running equals no air pumping which minimizes the introduction of moisture, gas, carbon, silicon, etc.) but the larger issue was restarting at the end of a prolonged period.  He said that after about six months most of the oil had drained away from just about everywhere and the restart would be largely "dry".  Since I was using an ester based oil (Motul). I wasn't overly worried about that since it tends to adhere to metal chemically.  I thought he was overstating it a bit but it made sense.  By the way, he wouldn't say that RP trans oil had or did not have sulfurous compounds, only that their Max-Gear (GL5 and 4) was what was recommended for the transaxle.  I feel pretty safe with that.  He also had they had specific specialty oil for laying up engines but it was a special item not offered
 in the consumer area but salable nevertheless.  After getting to "know" him a little I told him I had trouble always finding his product and if I could not what would he recommend.  Redline or Motul was the reply.