funky brake weirdness

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Mon May 24 11:50:04 CDT 2010

On 5/24/2010 12:07 AM, David Pertuz wrote:
> It is as if there is something funny going on with a wheel speed sensor.
> Felt somewhat like ABS was activating when it shouldn't have. Any of
> y'all had  something like this happen? I won't have time to diagnose
> this for a week and a half or so, unfortunately.

I've never had to deal with ABS problems myself, thankfully.  But I'll
share a weird one that may be of use or just make you go "WTF".  Brother
in-law's minivan (the Ford/Nissan thing, whatever that was called)
developed ABS weirdness on a road trip to our place.  ABS pump kicking
in at odd times making dangerously reduced braking.  Turned out the
toothed sensor ring on the end of a front CV axle was loose and
literally spinning freely around on the thing!  Thus confusing the hell
out of the ABS computer.

Sounds like 1 in a mill, but maybe something to check.

-Wayne