Steering rack

wc701lists at bellsouth.net wc701lists at bellsouth.net
Thu Oct 23 11:58:50 CDT 2008

Lawrence Weeks wrote:
> Thoughts on putting in a rebuilt Cardone rack in while I'm in there?
> The odo says 154k miles or so. There's nothing I notice wrong with it,
> other than both bellows being ripped up. It's "just" $250 for the

The rack is a real bitch to work on while the engine is in the car, so
your question is very valid.  I think of Cardone as pretty low-grade
stuff, however.  I think I've used their CV axles and brake calipers,
but I consider both those very easy swaps if they do fail.  On something
with the labor overhead of a rack, might be best to leave well enough alone.

My general experiences with B13 steering, however:
*  The racks start to feel "sloppy" after 150K miles or so.  There's a
TSB on tightening it, but I've never done it my self, nor heard of
anyone doing the procedure.  Some guy with apparently way too much time
on his hands snail-mailed me all the TSBs about... jeesh... 13 years
ago?!?  I could probably dig up a copy for ya'  :)
*  The high-pressure hose from the pump to the rack is very failure
prone after 150K.
*  The boots may crack around 200K.  Ordering the correct ones from
Nissan is a bitch.  Aftermarket ones are not worth your trouble.
*  I've seen rack leaks develop on two NXen after 200K.

   -Wayne