damage to trans housing

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Fri Dec 8 06:14:52 CST 2006

I've got a question for y'all:

When I was home last month I was inspecting my dad's 200SX for anything I
may have missed beyond the obvious that it needs (airbags, windshield,
tire) and I saw that, since it hangs slightly below the crossmember, there
was some damage to the trans case at its lowest point. A small chunk (first
joint of my pinky finger, say) was taken out and there was a bit of
additional cracking. IIRC it was at or near a bolt hole. Is this likely to
cause long-term problems? If it is it will certainly influence my decision
on what to do with the car. No leaks, just something that makes me wonder a
bit. I need to do make a decision about what to do with it when I am home
for Christmas. Totalling it, taking the aftermarket stuff and having State
Farm tow it away is by far the easiest. Parting out is by far the hardest.
Fixing it (airbags) and selling it or else just keeping it (5 cars?!?? But
it would make a nicer winter car than my B13...) is in between.

David

P.S. Diesels are great! I have been driving a diesel-powered car this week
(14x bhp 2.0L VW motor, Aisin-Warner 6-speed) and I absolutely love the
torque and midrange passing power. Not to mention that I cannot seem to get
less than 35mpg out of a heavyish mid-sized sedan.