squeal - front wheels

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Sun Jun 4 23:39:23 CDT 2006

Frank Ewald wrote:
> have spun the wheels
> and they seem to spin just fine and I can't ever get the noise. Even ran
> it through the gears while up on the jack stands.

This tells me that it only happens under load, which rules out an
alignment problem almost entirely. I'm starting to think bad wheel
bearing as well, since it's only happening under load.

> I'm not sure how the rotor/caliper could be misaligned.

The rotor is suposed to ride between the caliper with equal distance
between the rotor and the caliper on each side of the rotor. This could
be off if your caliper is not seating flush with the steering knuckle
(excessive rust, or for some reason you placed a washer between the
steering knuckle and the caliper, etc.) or for some other reason.

> just had the calipers off
> Squeal wasn't as bad after.

It could be that you're over torquing your wheel nuts, and the second
time you put the wheels on, you did them looser, but not loose enough.
Do you have a reliable torque wrench to get them to 80 ft/lbs. with?
The wheel nuts being too tight can also bring on early wheel bearing
failure, exaserbate a current wheel bearing failure, as well as bring
the rotor to close to the inner side of the caliper, especially when the
wheel bearing is bad.
You did mention you're using OEM pads, so the squeal from rotor rubbing
on pad seems less likely than I'd have hoped. Also, it doesn't happen
when you're not under load, so it's probably not the wheel nuts being
too tight as far as a sole cause. It's got to be that wheel bearing. You
could possibly rule out the pad rubbing theory by driving until you hear
squeal, then pull over and drench the rotor and pads on both front
brakes with WD-40 and then drive off, and see if the squeal is any
better. Although, this may be an extreme test, because you'll have VERY
poor braking ability, and the WD-40 could leave some residue that causes
brak epads to glaze over? I would recommend something that leaves
nothing behind lik ebrake cleaner, but that would evaporate too early...
Does anyone think this is just too crazy of an idea to try? What would
you use instead of WD-40?

> it only squeals when the temperature is warm. Not necessarily when
> the brakes are warm. Actually went all winter with no squeal, thought
> I'd beaten it, but it's back.

You sure? Even if you really drove the crap out of your brakes to get
them hot, it didn't squeal? That's nuts... There shouldn't be much
difference in tempurature. Is it more hummid now too? It's either the
wheel bearing, or something else entirely... What else stops moving when
the wheels stop moving? The half shafts... It might be the passenger
side halfshaft bearing where it mounts to the block. But then that would
have squealled while the car was up on jacks... Hmm... Unless it's not
the weight loading the suspension that is the problem. Maybe that
bearing squeals under load only...

> I'm just a couple of hours west of Toronto. If you're in the area, come
> on by and you can scratch your head with me.

Oh, I would if I were anywhere near there. I'm stuck in South Carolina,
USA. Too bad though, it could be fun.
After stratching my head over it, I'm going with bad wheel bearing.
Anyone else have any more ideas, or questions for Frank?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R