Brakes mounted in wrong direction.

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Thu Feb 2 15:10:15 CST 2006

I've been sitting on this for years, and this last post on the pictures
from the Motor Press Guild was the last straw.
I'm talking about slotted rotors.

Look at the rotors on the 350Z from that event.

http://www.mossyperformance.com/MPG/PICT7736.html

Here's another picture (Jim Schumacher's classic featured in
www.nissanperformancemagazine.com August 2002):

http://nissanperformancemag.com/august02/jschumacher/images/jims8.jpg

The slots on the brake rotors are rotating in what I like to call the
"correct" direction. The slots, as they rotate, throw the gasses out
easily in this orientation.

And now look at Craig Lieberman's skyline (featured; March 2003):

http://nissanperformancemag.com/march03/lieberman/images/dscf0946_tn.jpg

I'm affraid this is not the only example. It seems 40-50% of brakes are
put on the "wrong" way.
Am I going crazy? I know the difference in gas excavation may be
minimal, but maybe it's not; what with the slots almost keeping the
gasses inside the rotor radius.
Is it too much to ask for people to put their brakes on correctly? This
is not just a nissan crowd issue. In fact, I'd wager we're ahead of the
crowd...

I see this on show cars, and race cars alike.
What's the deal?

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R