Rear brake calipers

geo3 at earthlink.net geo3 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 6 11:52:39 CDT 2005

John A. Heer <jheer at walterhav.com> wrote:

>(1) since Ray "the SR20DE God" Kawski...

I didn't know God was so funny lookin'. ;-)

Ah, you know I love you Ray. :-)  (and I know I'm going to pay, but I'd
probably pay anyway for general principles :-)

>suggests just getting a new rear
>caliper, does anyone have suggestions as to a particular kind?  Bendix?
>Cardone?  Beck-Arnley?  Raybestos?

I'm quite familiar with Wagner and A1 Cardone.  Both are really good
quality.  I'd use either with no reservations.  B-A?  Probably OK.  Same
for the other two.

>(2) should I just get both rear calipers, rather than just the left rear
>which is locked up?

Toss a coin.  If you only need one, you only need one, assuming you have no
problems with the other one.  If you don't mind spending the extra and want
to do a little PM, get both.  But I don't see the NEED for it.

>(3) should I get loaded ones or not?

I probably wouldn't, although I liked the pads that came on my loaded
AD22VFs.  But, I understand that Wagner uses more than one company to
supply them with pads because another set I got I was less impressed with.
With Rainmanbestos you'll get their pads of course.  I will say this,
loaded are usually cost effective if you don't have a favored pad.  You'll
get all new hardware and pads for relatively little money unless the parts
store really jacks up the price (their price isn't much higher - a few
bucks).

George Roffe