Driver side axle

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Tue Jul 5 10:10:56 CDT 2005

>> The driver's side axle is held in by a circlip, it may need to be pried
>> (gently) from the transmission, and seating the new axle may require some
>> (again, gentle) tapping.

> Be careful there... I've had to beat the CRAP out of axles to get them to
> seat in.  DO NOT pound directly on the threaded end... you will "mushroom"
> the threads and not be able to get the nut on.  I usually thread the but
> down till it's about 1/8" from flush, then use a wood block and BFH to seat
> the axle.

I've always found that if the axle will not go in easily, and pushing it
in a few good times doesn't work, it's due to the allignment of the
differential gear. Shifting the car into first gear from neutral, or
into neutral from first gear can be enough to do the trick. If not,
start the car, put the tranny in first, and let the clutch off a little.
This should spill fluid if you haven't drained the tranny completely.
(You should really be draining it all the way if you're replacing the seal.)
Anyway, the point is to get the differential to move. It's possible to
turn the opposite axle to get it to move as well. I just haven't ever
thought of doing that until just now. The circlip doesn't provide much
resistance, it's those gears that need to line up. This I learned from a
time when the axle absolutely refused to go in. I moved the shifter
around the tree, and the axle went in like butter after hours of
frustration.

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R