Tires

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Sat Feb 5 18:55:45 CST 2005

Well, this issue has been covered so many gazillion
times that it's almost nauseating, but basically the
best handling increase is typically found from a 15"
rim with a 205/50/15 tire on it.

That is, the best handling increase without a significant
power decrease.  If your NX is turbocharged, or has
some other power additive, or you don't mind the loss
N/A, go as big as you want.

Best performance is so subjective that it's really hard
to answer.  I'm fond of Falken Azenis for daily driver
/light track/autocross use, but not in the rain or snow.

Handling and durability don't go hand in hand, a higher
treadwear index is usually indicative of worse grip, and
a lower treadwear index is usually indicative of less life.

As compound formulations get better and better, and tire
construction has a bit to do with the handling feel, I hear
it is possible to get a tire with decent treadwear and decent
treadwear.  I personally sacrifice treadwear for stick, IMHO,
but the stick of Azenis is limited by how much heat is in
them, for extended 'spirited' driving, or track events, they
are probably not the best tire, since they get kind of greasy
when hot.

So many people have preferences, and for the most part
it has to do with which compromise(s) they are more
comfortable with, there really isn't an easy answer.

Wheels are a little bit easier.  The basic thing you need to
know when shopping is to look for something in a 15x6.5
or 15x7, and shoot for an offset of +38.  Bolt pattern is
4x100mm, and generally speaking, the more you spend,
the lighter/stronger the wheels get.

My top 3 list if I felt like I had the cash to blow (building
a house right now, I don't really):

1.  Volk TE-37
2.  5Zigen FN-01R (not RC - they are heavy street rims)
3.  Enkei RP-F1

15x7's might have rubbing issues on the rear depending on
your alignment, and precisely what offset you get.

I currently have a set of very cheap, not terribly light, but
functional ATS Comp Lite on my B13, and I like them just
fine for what they cost.  Like I said in parentheses before
the top 3 list, I don't have the spare cash right now.

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.