Help! Coolant in oil (long), cylinder head gasket replacement

Matt MA MA at legacypartners.com
Mon Jan 31 16:24:28 CST 2005

The FSM has a detailed procedure for this. You have the right idea, but
I don't think that squeezing the lifters themselves will be enough to
bleed the air out of them.

What you need to do it take a small rod (I used the end of a hex key),
and push down on the bleed valve. The bleed valve is located inside the
lifter. Push the small rod through the hole in the top of the lifter.
Once inside, you'll need to feel around with the rod to find the
indentation in the center - that is where you push down on. Compress the
bleed valve several times to get all the air out. Keep in mind that this
whole procedure is done with the lifter submerged in clean motor oil.

Once all the air is bled out, the lifter will feel rock solid and you
should not be able to compress the lifter with your hands. Hope that
helps.

matt ma . 92 SE-R

>>> Brian K <bkoko001 at yahoo.com> 1/31/2005 11:14:22 AM >>>
I'm not sure if I did it properly -- here's what I did:  immersed them
all in clean engine oil overnight.  Next morning squeezed and released
them all one at a time while submerged in oil, then installed.