is this what killed my garage queen? (electrical problem)

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Mon Dec 6 00:04:05 CST 2004

Raymond Kawski wrote:

>I got the car from her and found the car wasn't
>overheating but the ground wire had busted off.

<snip>

>It never died nor had problems starting.

That's odd. I had the same symptoms, but it was the connection at the
water temp sending unit that was loose. As I mentioned in my e-mail, the
car will still start even without the ground in place on the thermostat.
I did not, however, explain how this is possible. After a little
thinking, I've come to the conclusion that it happens because the
battery is still grounded to the chasis, and your catalitic converter to
chasis ground must have still been good, effectively grounding your
engine to the chasis, and ultimately to the battery. There are also two
small grounds on the intake manifold that can help as well (if I
remember correctly). I'd say Ray's friend's car still had some other
good grounds, where David's car is missing all of them. Want to put
money on it Ray? Fifty cents? Or are you willing to put up your left arm
as well? =)

-Ben Fenner
1994 Black SE-R