is this what killed my garage queen? (electrical problem)

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sun Dec 5 15:35:28 CST 2004

I think I may have found the reason my garage queen SE-R died and wouldn't
restart. I began by checking the ground connections, starting with the main
battery cable grounds.

-The car got enough electrical power to run the lights, starter relay, etc.
When I jumped the battery to a charged one
-The terminal post at the battery was fine.
-The ground lug on the chassis next to the battery tray appears to be fine.
-Then I checked the ground connection of the other end of the main ground
cable at the thermostat housing....and the spade connector came off in my
hand when I took the bolt out. The cable had corroded clean through at the
crimp fitting.

This would certainly seem to me to explain the symptoms - the car died
suddenly while being driven, and would not restart. I'm guessing the car
died as soon as the connection was broken.

Could any of you more confirm or deny this? I'm going to take care of it on
Monday. I might test it this PM by putting in the battery and cable from my
driver SE-R.

thanks,
David