Copper spray and metal head gaskets

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Thu Sep 9 16:35:57 CDT 2004

On a related, but slightly off topic note:

I'm wondering why people tend to fork over the big
$$$ for a non-OEM head gasket?  Are the OEM (Nissan)
ones not metal?  What's the big difference, is it final HP
numbers?  In other words, what's the HP cutoff, if there
is one for a regular Nissan OEM headgasket?  I had always
thought that the stock one was adequate, and somebody
who's never had an SR20DE(or T) head off an engine
claimed that all headgaskets are metal.

On the copper spray or not thing, the only experience
I've had so far has been on the domestic side, where
some guys claim that using a steel gasket alone won't
hold as well as giving it the copper spray treatment.

Towards that end, my domestic iron has copper sprayed
metal headgaskets, but that's all I know on the subject.

Mike?

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>