stalling and excessive gas consumption

Slamtry slamtry at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 8 21:40:24 CDT 2004

My 91 Classic is stalling when I pull up to a light or whenever else I
come to a halt or let the revs drop. It starts again fine but will do the
same thing right away again. And it is using way too much gas. I'm getting
less than 20mpg for mainly freeway driving. It is setting a code 45 which,
although ostensibly indicating leaking injectors, also was mentioned in
the original Nissan TSB on the subject as one of the symptoms of the need
for the infamous MAF reground. I regrounded the MAF 4 years ago when I got
the car and this same problem seems to recur about once or twice a year. I
have managed to solve it a couple of times by cleaning and reinstalling,
with some dielectric grease, the engine ground end of the new MAF ground
wire. However this only solves the problem sometimes and this time it has
done no good at all. Can anyone recommend anything else I could try? The
throttle body is clean. Might it be the also infamous BPT tube and, if so,
where the hell is that?

Thanks for any help. Im getting really pissed off with this. If there's
anyone who knows a lot about this electrical sensor/MAF/stalling issues
stuff, I'd be grateful (and willing to pay for) some on the spot
diagnostic expertise.

Dan Hugh-Jones