Engine break-in oil

Bruce.Hearn at cd-tech.com Bruce.Hearn at cd-tech.com
Wed Sep 8 02:16:49 CDT 2004

>What type of oil do you recommend for breaking in a
>freshly rebuilt SR20DET?

Did you hone the cylinders?  I presume you used the original liners. If so, perform the old-fashioned break-in the others mentioned.  I don't know what a new liner looks like, but would use Nissan's
procedure if it's nice and smooth and new.  The smoother you have the bores on assembly, the sooner you can go to pure synthetic.

Can't fathom why a straight-weight oil would recommend against use in a hydraulic lifter motor.  Maybe a lack of antifoaming agents?

Bruce in Houston