HS 4th Blown Gen Flex pipe Grrrrrrrrrr

Peter Serwe peter at easytree.net
Wed Jun 23 20:49:09 CDT 2004

Will Norton wrote:

> What does a collapsed passenger side mount look like?

Cracked, and the hole in the middle is a bit too low.

> I spoke with Hot shot and they are being cool about the hole thing but I am
> still  looking at 50-75 to fix it and then 18 to ship each way so 111 worst
> case and I definitely do not want to do this again if I can avoid it (15
> working day estimate of no car....).   I think I put at least 40,000 miles
> on that piece do they just have a short life?

I got my hotshot DP with an already leaking like a sieve flex
section.  Pretty easy to weld in a new one, it's the one thing
about a good mild steel that I really love.  There won't be a
nice ceramic coating on it after, though.  The fact is, flex
sections *do NOT* last.  They chafe themselves, and the
core inside of the mesh is designed to move, not last.

I can fix it if you want for ~$60, including the flex section.

Shipping shouldn't be more than $12-13 each way.

> I know others have wrestled with this problem  recently.   Any advise
> greatly appreciated.

Replace all the old rubber mounts with polyurethane - Energy
Suspension or Prothane.

The car will vibrate crazily, but the solidity is incredible.

However, it *does* increase NVH - I hear for some people
that's a problem.  I have them on my '92 and '94.  The passenger
side (front) motor mount, and the dogbone in between the radiator
and header needs to be pressed out/in.

Total time for doing all 4 with a hydraulic press and decent tools
is about 2-2.5 hours.  If you were anywhere near Maine, I'd invite
you to drop by the shop.

Peter
--
Peter Serwe <peter at easytree.net>