cruise control

KIERAN A. LAVIN kal8121 at oak.njit.edu
Tue Apr 6 06:22:05 CDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Nissan Power wrote:

> That would be called the throttle drum or throttle lever.

As long as we all know what I'm talking about ;)

> These cruise controls are a pain to diagnois. I've seen a few that just
> like yours; everything checks out, but it don't work. :-/

Thanks for that extra bit of confidence :P

> Two things I have found. Either the ascd contol unit (rare), or the pump

I have a spare of each... well, not a spare but a donor.  At some point
(when it ifnally warms up enough that I can work on the car and feel my
fingertips!) I'll swap each into the car independently and see if either
fix the problem.  If it's not either of them, I'll have to try the
actuator maybe

> is not pulling hard enough to actually move the actuator (even though it
> works when you test it).  If you have access to a hand vacuum pump,
> apply vacuum to the actuator and see if it holds. If that's OK, then you

Not only did vacuum to the actuator work, it wouldn't let loose when I
removed negative to the pin the FSM told me to (#4 I think at the harness
to the pump)

> If you know for sure that's OK, then it has to be the ASCD control unit. :(

Well, like I said, I have an extra brain that's a donor so I can try that.
Good to have that stuff so I don't have to be buying parts at random
hoping it fixes the problem!

> One more thing; are you sure the speed sensor works properly? If it's
> not 100% the cruise will not set (but the light shouldn't stay on
> either) but I've seen stanger things.....

This is one thing I'm not 100% sure on... the FSM tells you to connect the
multimeter to two different pins in the brain harness and jack the car up
and spin the wheels.  It then tells you to "look for deflection"  What the
hell does that mean?!?  I saw the voltage jump around a bit so I assume
that's ok?  I'll have to do it again and write down the voltages I saw and
then cross-check that with the same on my car.  I think I remember seeing
from 0 to .2 to 1.5 or so volts?

kieran

thanks for the input... gives me some ideas on things to check!