looking for info re: pulley alignment, oil leak and coolant weepage

davidpertuz at mindspring.com davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Mon Apr 5 12:42:21 CDT 2004

1) is there more than one weep hole on the water pump? If only one, is it on the top side of the pump, visible when you look down from above? I can see this hole on the pump but do not know if it is a (secondary?) weep hole at all. Obviously I can't see it if it is locate don the underside.

2) Are there any other nearby locations from which coolant can leak? I can see a very thin trickle of coolant running down the front (pass. side) of the block from somewhere behind the crank pulley and onto the lip of the lower oil pan boss. That is all I can tell of its source - I'm not sure, without putting the car up on a hoist, whether coolant coming from the W.P. weep hole could travel down that path or would drip off somewhere else.

3) The crank pulley is misaligned - when the engine is running I can see it wobbling, and when it is still it is visibly cocked. What do I need to worry about as a result of this, and how soon do I need to worry about it happening? IOW, is it urgent or only semi-urgent? Can I loosen, realign and tighten it without spedning hours taking stuff apart?

Could this also cause the odd whining noise that I can hear most (though not all) of the time? The best way I can describe it is to liken it to an EMI-induced whine, but it depends on engine speed and not on electronics operation.

This is for the G20 I got, which is overall in very nice shape, though it is perhaps looking like the shop that did some engine work was a bit sloppy. There is also an oil leak that appears to be at the least the result of an improperly-sealed valve cover gasket, though there seems a bit much of it over too wide an area to be just from that.

Any feedback y'all have is very appreciated!

thanks,
David