The VE's are coming

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 16:12:45 -0600

Without going to the effort of chopping up the car so as to keep the weight
distribution close to ideal, it would handle like a pig.  I have seen some
V8 powered 510's though,  Mean but they really cut up to get them to handle
right... The Nissan V8's are powerful to be sure but they are heavy too.
The reason I am himming and Hawing about an SRDET or a VG30 is the weight
issue.  The CA18DET is surprisingly light and only wieghs around 28 more
pounds than the old L16.  The biggest LURE for the 510 is it's handling for
a street car.  I don't want to throw it out the window...  The KA24DE would
only happen for budget constraint issues.  The S13 crowds are almost giving
them away.  Sure, the KA isn't the best engine but it isn't THAT bad...
hard to turn down a free engine, complete with trans and electronics...  But
I am not sold on the KA either way.  The Aussies have been doing the CA18DET
swap in the ol' PL519 for a while now.  There is even a kit for it.  FJ20ET
also has a kit available but that engine though bullet proof (almost) is
even heavier than the SRDET....   What to do.....?  Hey, I know the FWD SR
will bolt to a RWD trans but what about the engine mountings?  If the VE
engine has the same basic casting, it is a possibility, especially if it
doesn't have a distributor....   Hmmmmm?

Erik Halvorson