starter trouble

Darren Cotner its311pete@alltell.net
Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:24:42 -0600

 I was the one that posted that info about fixing start up squeal without
removing the starter.
 Your starter may differ from mine but when you loosen the 2 long bolts that
are on the passenger side of the
starter, the starter will open up into to halves. it doesn't come off in
your hands, I believe there is a wire
holding the 2 halves together still but there is enough room to slip a
couple of fingers in the crack and slap some grease in there.
My Starter has a main gear followed by 3 small gears that circle around the
main gear.
Possibly you have a totally different starter.
Mine starter is a Hitachi, on my 91 Classic.
Sorry you had problems, I felt responsible as soon as I read the e-mail..
Darren