Carbon Fiber fenders/hoods/trunk lids and various sanctioning bodies.

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Mon, 29 Dec 2003 14:17:03 -0600

Yeah, replace the fenders if the rules allow but I wouldn't use CF.  Too
expensive.  Use S glass.  It is plenty stiff and dirt cheap.  It will break
away easier in a shunt without damaging the chassis structure, but it is up
to you.  CF for the hood and trunk are fine I suppose but still dang
expensive when comparing materials.  The S glass properties are usually
plenty stiff enough for BODY PANELS.  Higher end race cars use CF for the
stiffness properties when designing aero effecting parts (and chassis of
course).  But the cars I have seen use the lesser expensive S-glass and even
E glass on non-critical components.  Though, this argument goes out the
window if you are lucky enough to get CF at "glass" prices or just have lots
of throw away cash.  BUT I like the tear away properties of the gless so as
to help protect the chassis and body panel attatchment points.  I beleive S
glass is similar in weight to the CF.  The resin has more impact on the
weight of the parts than the fiber does....  IMHO and experience...

Erik Halvorson

Pete Wrote:
I'm curious because I'm getting ready to make a bunch
of this stuff, and thinking that replacing my fenders, hood,
and trunk lid would just make my car that much lighter.

Anyone have any extra feelings they want to share that
I didn't directly poll for, please.  Even if you just think
it's rice, and not nice..