Thanks

Chris Scarpulla sr20de@optonline.net
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 00:57:37 -0600

This weekend past weekend is one I will not soon forget. From a fantastic
1000+ mile road trip, to finally meeting so many online friends, spending
time with a bunch of long time buddies, having an awesome time at the track,
and then blowing up my engine while giving someone their first ride on the
track.

My engine went down swinging, that's for sure. I spent allot of time on the
track on Saturday, and got more comfortable and faster with each session. By
late afternoon I had given Dexter from NY his first taste of what it's like
to drive on a road course, and he was amazed. I took his buddy out during my
next session, and he was equally hooked. Unfortunately, towards the end of
that session, we rounded the last corner before the front straight in second
gear, and as the engine approached redline things got ugly. The motor was
toast... and that's when things started to happen.

The outpouring of concern and help by so many people has truly blown me
away. I have so many people to thank, that I don't even know where to begin.

Thanks Sarah, for helping me tear off the valve cover, hoping that the ugly
noises were something in the valve train.

Thanks to whoever (Ray, Joe, Kieran and David?) drained my oil and had the
car ready for me to refill it, hoping that I might get lucky enough to nurse
the car home.

Thanks to Mike Pahls for trailering my car back to the hotel, while his
displaced car was driven the 60 miles back on race rubber.

Thanks to Greg Perry and Kevin Hart for coming up with so many amazing ideas
to get my car back on the road, you two guys blew me away with your
resourcefulness and caring. The way you both were able to rally the troops
was a sight to behold, and I'm in debt to each of you for taking a large
chunk of your convention time to help me. Greg even trailered my wounded
car, while Calum followed in Greg's turbo B13 for the 3+ hour trip to
Tennessee.

Thanks to Louis LePrad's Dad. This is a man who I never met, of even talked
to online. A man who agreed to keep my car at his house until we can get an
engine it.

Thanks to Greg Vogel who kept my spirits up by telling me, time and time
again, that everything was going to work out. I don't know how you knew it,
but you were right Greg.

Thanks to Grover Pickering for giving me an airline ticket home, I'm still
in shock from that Grover!

And finally, thanks to all of you (and I know there were allot if you), that
were kind enough to contribute money to help me out. I am truly humbled, and
blessed to know you all. I was stunned when George Roffe's wife gave me that
envelope, and I'm indebted to all of you.

If I've missed anyone, I apologize. The way you all came to my rescue has
turned a potentially disastrous event (it ain't a good feeling to have a
dead car 1000 miles from home), into an unforgettable one.

I look forward to seeing some of you soon in Tennessee for the motor swap,
and it's great to know that I can count on so many of you when the chips are
down.

You guys rock, and I'm lucky to be a part of such an awesome community!

Chris