Please help engine won't start (long)

Brian bkoko001@yahoo.com
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 14:27:59 -0500

I sure could use some advice here as I'm starting to
get stumped.  My 93 SE-R auto cranks but won't start.
After each round of attempted starting I can smell
fuel.
Here's what I've checked so far:

Current to each plug wire with a timing light
Spark on the #1 plug (noticed lots of carbon on the
plug, though)
Fuel flow coming out of fuel filter (spits plenty of
fuel when I crank the engine)
Injectors each measure 11 ohms (normal is 10-14)
Cams turn when engine cranks (so I assume chain is ok)
Air filter is like new
Self diagnostic on ECU flashes code 55 (normal
operation)

I think the gas is ok.  The car has been sitting for a
month but it had fresh gas in it.  The only way I have
been able to get the engine to fire at all is
(ironically) to pull the fuel pump fuse.  If I crank
it, pull the fuse, and crank it again with no pump I
can make it sputter to life just a little and then die
out.

Any suggestions?  My only theory is that the
combustion chambers are somehow flooding.  I'm headed
out to get a vacuum pump and a fuel pressure gauge so
I can check regulator operation and fuel pressure.
Feel free to reply privately if you have any random
thoughts and I'll post to the list anything that
helps.

Thanks for your time,
Brian Kokoska
92 SE-R runs like a champ