high tech brake fluid question

Lawrence Weeks dev@anabasis.net
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:16:15 -0500

Once upon a time (Wed Sep 24), EEYORE5182@aol.com wrote:

> The generator electrode passes a current through a filament which
> turns all water in the reagent into iodine.

Now wait a minute... iodine is an element, #53. Turning water (H2O)
into iodine (I) would be quite the feat. So this part doesn't make
much sense to me.

> The detector electrode is like a fork..it trys to pass electrical
> current through the fluid. The only way the current can be passed
> through the fluid is through water. So, if you inject some sort of
> oil into the reagent, and there is water in it, the equipment will
> tell you how many PPM (parts per million) of water there is in a
> given sample.

This also... pure H2O does not conduct electricity. When other
appropriate ionized (acidic/base) elements/molecules are dissolved
with H2O, that solution conducts. And other impurities in the fluid
being tested could also conduct electicity. How accurate can this be
to measure specifically water to PPM?

Larry
--
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks@anabasis.net