high tech brake fluid question

Rick Frey rfrey@iupui.edu
Thu, 25 Sep 2003 08:54:31 -0500

At 10:50 PM 9/24/2003 -0500, EEYORE5182@aol.com wrote:
>Are there any Carguy / chemists out there that know of an acceptable PPM
>of water allowed in brake fluid or the limits of which the fluid should be
>changed on a PPM of water scale?

Sounds like a good idea that would eliminate unneeded brake
bleeding.  Maybe a manufacturer would be willing to let you in on the info.

Absent that, we have heard on this list that a high quality brake fluid
(motul 600 has specifically been mentioned) will last an entire season (4
or 5 months?) in the SER cup challenge.

So, measure a freshly opened bottle, bleed your system and test it again in
4 or 5 months and record the change.

That might be a good ball park.

How expensive is this test equipment?

         Sounds like time to patent your invention.  ;)

I wonder if water collects in specific places in your brake system that
might make it impossible to simply test your master cylinder reservoir.

Keep thinking! good idea!

rick frey