high tech brake fluid question

EEYORE5182@aol.com EEYORE5182@aol.com
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:50:17 -0500

My company sells and builds scientific testing equipment, which includes
equipment that tests for water.  one of our items deals with Coulometric
Titration.  for those of you who don't know what this is (as I didn't until I started
working with it) Coulometric Titration is a chemical way of finding out how
much water is in something, Particularly fluids like oil.  You use a syringe to
put your oil sample into a fluid called a reagent.  In the reagent, there are
two electrodes - a Generator electrode and a Detector electrode.  The generator
electrode passes a current through a filament which turns all water in the
reagent into iodine.   The detector electrode is like a fork..it trys to pass
electrical current through the fluid.  The only way the current can be passed
through the fluid is through water.  So, if you inject some sort of oil into the
reagent, and there is water in it, the equipment will tell you how many PPM
(parts per million) of water there is in a given sample.
The reason why I am talking about this is that I have the ability to check
samples from time to time, and I was thinking of checking the brake fluid in my
NX.  Are there any Carguy / chemists out there that know of an acceptable PPM
of water allowed in brake fluid or the limits of which the fluid should be
changed on a PPM of water scale? I was thinking of talking to the company that
makes ATB super blue (which is what i use) to see what there findings are.
Might be some good info to know, and i thought i would pass my idea along to the
group.

Alex
'93 NX2k
'92 G20