need (elec.) diagnostic help - in CO

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn@mindspring.com
Wed, 3 Sep 2003 06:32:29 -0500

One question. Do the headlamps dim when you try to start the car? (Or, does
the battery voltage drop when the starter is engaged?) If the answer to
either of these is "no" then suspect the starter. Our 1992 just exhibited
the same symptoms and with a new starter we're "all better now."
When checking voltage at the battery you may want to check when connecting
directly to the terminal posts on the battery and again at the cable
terminal. When checked without a load on the battery the voltages are
usually the same. If there is any corrosion (not always visible) there will
usually be a difference in voltage between the post and the cable when the
battery is under load (like headlamps or starter).
If it's the starter, get a friend to help you. One man just can't reach the
starter and the bolts at the same time. (OK,  "I" couldn't reach....so if
someone out there has a secret  method for doing the starter, just chime in
here)
Free advice...and worth every cent.
Charlie Guthrie
Not a mechanic