Recent rod bearing swap and new metal/oil consumption.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:51:43 -0500

Pending further investigation, I've noticed that my
sr20 is starting to use oil.  Perhaps I didn't swap
break-in oil fast enough, perhaps I should have
dumped and flushed twice..

Basically, I swapped out my rod bearings,
put in the new ones, and sealed everything
up.  No big deal.  Ran for about 150 miles,
drained and put amsoil in with a new filter.

Ran for about 1500 miles, oil looked clear
as fresh honey, now it's got little bits (of metal)
in it.  I'm _guessing_ it's rings, based on the
consumption, but I'm curious what else it could
be.  No leaks, no other problems, I *could*
send the oil out for analysis, but I'm ready
to tear it all down and re-ring/re-bearing
following FSM procedures and check it all
out - hopefully the cylinder walls aren't scored.

I guess if it comes to all that I should just call
up Soko and order up a 'new to me' one.

Can anyone shed some light on this/fill in
any gaps??  Is it possible I was just too
hasty in calling it good to run?  What's
the proper break in time/milage for just
rod bearings?

TIA,

Pete

--