1st Test Drive: clutch/shifting feel normal?

Ben Fenner fenfam@comcast.net
Sat, 12 Jul 2003 09:32:09 -0500

> The clutch felt EXTREMELY
> light in comparison to cars I've driven before,

This is completely normal. After borrowing a friend's VW jetta (manual
tranny) for a bit while my car was being fixed, I went back to my car and
the clutch pedal felt feather light. After a day or two of driving it seemed
"normal" again.

> and almost felt as though it
> changed in pedal feel the further i pushed it down.

It gets slightly harder to depress near the end of it's travel. If you drive
one for a whole day you'll get used to it. I don't think you're describing
anything abnormal.

> Shifter was extremely notchy in feel

Ahhh yes. Our gate is very precise (RX-7 like) and seems very odd to someone
used to a cable actuated shifter (Is the MR2 shifted via cable?) or a car
with a forgiving gate. Once again, a few hours in the car and everything
falls together.

> a bit difficult to get into 1st and
> 5th gear. I kept on having to check to make sure I was in gear.

The same friend who drives the jetta has driven my car and he's always
complaining about 5th gear and how hard it is to find. It's because the
jetta will slide into 5th at an angle, and the Sentra is a strict 90 degree
job for all gears.
He doesn't complain about first gear though, because he just mashes it into
gear. If you're being light with the hand, it takes some heal-toe or double
clutching to engage first while rolling, even sometimes while at a stop.
Also, normal.

> I'm used to quick short
> throws,

A car with a longer throw will feel completely different from one you're
used to with a short throw. But I'm sure you know this =)

> and i felt a bit more confident in knowing what gear i'm in with my
> car.

As you should. It is your car, and you've grown with it. The same can happen
with the Sentra in a day or two (I do recommend picking up a short throw
shifter for it though).

> Is it possible that the feel will improve after using redline mt
> transmission fluid? Or is this normal?

It's possible, but the shorter throw is what really tightens things up. Also
I forgot something. There is a spring that returns the shifter to it's home
possition (in nuetral below 3rd and above 4th gear). This spring was broken
and dangling on my car when I bought it, and has broken once since replacing
it. Now it's been a long time and the spring is still there. If the shifter
feels loose going from 1st/2nd position to 3rd/4th position, it could be
missing this spring (easy fix after removing the cat heat sheild). This also
makes the shifter feel kinda flimsy.

> Everything else seemed good about the car. Really appreciate the lightness
> in comparison to my MR2.

I didn't know the MR2 was/felt heavier than a Classic?

> It was also nice breaking out the rear tires in an
> FF car.

My jetta friend still doesn't believe me about that. After replacing my
wheel bearing I'm going to take him for a ride =)

> I'm hopefully testing out another SE-R locally, so if i don't get
> any replies i'll just compare against the other.

That could be your best bet. But remember, you've driven one now and will be
more comfortable in the next car.
Anyway, good luck!

-Ben
1994 Black SE-R