Tranny oil change help.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 22:05:13 -0500

I'll just try to quickly answer this, just to clear the air.

1.  Skip the sockets, use 3/8" and 1/2" breaker
     bars, and no sockets, whatsoever.

2.  Skip the 'reasonable amount of torque' thing.
     Your trying to 'break' a mildly frozen, fairly
     large fastener.  Use a cheater bar for better
     control and more leverage, YMMV.

3.  The engine being hot has absolutely nothing to
     do with it, get the transmission warm, by driving
     around +/- 30 minutes, and it'll help the fluid drain
     easier/more completely.

4.  If your worried about the fasteners being frozen,
     realize that the tranny case is aluminum, and the
     plugs are ferrous, hence why the tranny case has
     white oxidation on it, and the fill/drain plugs have
     the a wee bit of surface rust on them.  Just push the
     breaker bars, the plugs will come free.

5.  Get a funnel with at least a 24" flexible extension.
     MT-90 pours like 5w30, unlike most gear oils.

Oh well, typically long winded as I am, it wasn't all that quick,
but that's a good start.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.