Dale Hinson on brake fluids

Fonque@aol.com Fonque@aol.com
Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:55:32 -0500

   http://www.bira.org/fluids.html

   Charlie, I still can't post to the list, so if
you could forward this e-mail/link to the list that
 would be great.

   I've used ATE Super Blue and Motul 600 on the
track.  Before the NX brake upgrade and after only
 a couple driving events, I started getting serious
 fade on a track that was relatively easy on brakes.
 I think this was a combination of fluid fade and pad
 fad because if I backed off for a lap or so the pedal
 would come back some, but I had to bleed the brakes at
 the end of each day to get a firm pedal.   I don't
think this was entirely the ATE fluid's fault, the
stock Classic brakes are pretty small and don't
dissapate heat very well.  This setup consisted of
R4 (full R4 not the R4s) Porterfields, stock
classic brakes, ATE Super Blue and SS lines.

   Since the NX upgrade, my braking skills have
improved dramatically (more track/seat time) and I
have upgraded to R compound tires - I have yet to
fade the brakes w/ R4 pads, Motul 600 and SS lines.
This is a fantastic setup for the money.
I instructed at my first DE last October & ran that
 entire weekend, including the all day open track day
for instructors, with Motul 600 that had seen 6 months
 of street duty and 2 other DE's - never had a problem.
I'm heading to a DE (the PCA event at Gateway in STL)
this weekend and decided to bleed the now 12 month old
(and fairly dark) Motul just to be safe.   Since this
current setup has worked so well, I decided to stick
with the Motul 600, of course I only had a 1/2 bottle
left and could not find any locally so I went with the
 Ford stuff.   I'll let you know how it works after
this weekend.  But so far, for $3/bottle vs. $12/ bottle
 I love it!

   Dale Hinson
   91 Classic - many mods, many miles