Wheel,Tire, Combination

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 17:48:08 -0500

> 1. Will the 16" wheel/tire combination accelerate appreciably faster than
> the 15"?

Nope.  Slower by a few thousandths.  It grips a lot better laterally,
though, so don't let that scare you.  Never sacrifice every day pleasure
for the risk that you *might* need a few thousandths in a straight line.

> 2.Will the 16" wheel/tirecombination be too harsh for daily street
> driving?

Gosh, I hope not.  I've been riding on 16s in Pothole Junction (where
steel plates are considered permanent fixes) for almost two years now, and
if somebody told me that they rode poorly, I'd be upset!  Seriously,
modern tires have made any aspect (sidewall) over 40 just as comfortable
as a 70.  Just buy a decent (not cheap) tire.

> 3. Will the 14" ADVANS out accelerate them all?

Yeah, but they're ugly. :-P

> 4. Experienced users... is the 40 series trouble for the lightweight
> rims? Any other comments would be welcomed.

Why would it matter?  There are two obsticals to overcome; rim damage by
impact and rim damage by scuffing.  Most good low-profile tires have
adequate rim gaurds to keep the latter at bay.  The former is a problem if
you enjoy jumping curbs in your spare time.

> Advan RG   14X6     8LBS      22.4
> 195X55X14 Dunlop SP8000

Best bet.  Quickest in a straight line.

> SSR Comp. 15X6.5  9.9LBS   22.7
> 195X50X15 Dunlop SP8000

Highly recommended as per other LMs.

> SSR Comp. 16X7  11LBS?     22.4
> 205X40X16 Dunlop FM901

This would be more fun every day, but FM901s are BAD tires.  They're loud,
they dryrot within weeks, and they chunk under actual use on public roads.
 Venture out a little; Dunlop isn't and hasn't been king of auto rubber
for a long while.  Look at what Bridgestone, BFG, and Falken have to offer
in your price range.

Rota Slipstream (8 finishes) or Subzero (7 finishes) 15x6.5" wheels, which
are just about 12 pounds each (13.5 and 14.5 for 16") and commonly sell
for $450 a set.  If you'd like to venture out more in tire sizes, the
Falken Azenis RS is about the stickiest street tire you can buy for under
$100, and they're WAAAAY less than $100 each.  Those are loud, too,
though.:-/

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |