Failed HC emissions!

Bourdin, Vincent BOurdin@ptc.com
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 07:54:24 -0600

Thanks Mike for all these details!!
Looks like I have work to do...

>HCs are closely related to the cat. Eighter your engine is dumping too much
>fuel or the cat is just bad.

It's true that I'm not too happy with my fuel economy! I rarely make 300mi on
a tank, just commuting 30 minutes to work everyday on the highway! Will check
the cat.

>Do they give ya a print out of what the HCs and
>others look like ?
They didn't give me a graph, but the CO2 reading was 241.11. Not sure if it's
good or bad!

>Another thing I see alot is people go in
>for a test with the car not fully warmed up.

Now, I'm pretty sure I didn't warm-up the car enough. Only drove 30min around
town to get to the station. I won't do that again!

>If U can list some things
>you have done to the car if anything ?

No mods yet :(, and still the PAIR valve, which I'm going to check this
weekend if it's functioning properly.

>I would start
>off with a cap/rotor/wires/plugs. Make sure the timing is at 13deg when
>going in for emissions

Wires and rotor are 2 years old. Plugs, I will change. Don't know about timing
... never done this before, don't know that I can figure this out! I'm still
new to do-it-yourself, and my only achievements have been the classics timing
belt tensionner, radiator, filters, and brakes.

>Also run some injector cleaner through it-

Will do!

>Then after that install a new fuel filter,

I'm ashamed of this but ... mine looks stock after 110kmi! Is it possible?
Only had the car for 2 years, and haven't had time to get to it, but I bought
a new one last weekend, waiting to get installed!

>clean out the K&N or repleaced any dirty filters, do a oil change, get some
>Redline MTL tranny fluid in the trans :) Reground the MAF.

Will do!

Thanks for all these suggestions ... I have the weekend all planned out now!

Vince