teflon tape

NismoDriver@aol.com NismoDriver@aol.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 16:33:18 -0600

Not that it really matters. I just wanted to clarify that the yellow stuff is
no better than the white stuff is. I work on oil wells in excess of 10,000
psi and extreme temperatures. Believe it or not, white Teflon tape is the
only sealing material used on NPT/ line pipe threads. Just some FYI. There is
however a technique to applying teflon. You have to wrap *with* the thread
pattern. If you go against it, it will simply peel off when you make up your
connection, causing leaks.

On another note. Was the connection you made Khiem a flare style or metal to
metal cone style seal? Over tightening these connection is a sure way to get
them to leak. I take em til they get snug and then add a quarter turn. They
hold 5,000 psi with that technique (1/4" swagelok with ferrul's).

John
New Orleans, LA