Cheap DIY EFI controller

Jon Davis TurboSER@comcast.net
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 08:40:39 -0600

I have personally seen this setup running a Ford Taurus engine on a stand.
It was quite simple to set up and use, and you really can tune it with a
serial port. The software is available for you to fool with if you are so
inclined. The megasquirt does fuel only and fires injectors in batch mode. I
don't know if there is a difference in power between batch and sequential,
I'm no expert on the subject. You would need something to fire the spark on
a SER, but it could work. Last I heard they were working on Megaspark to do
that.

At the moment I'm working with Megasquirt's big brother, EFI332. The 332 is
based on the Motorola 68332 processor which has the capability of running a
6 cylinder with sequential fuel and COP spark. Unfortunately the people who
designed the hardware had an old carbed car with an American V8 in mind, not
a Japanese 4 with existing EFI, so I've had a lot of development to do.
Currently I have the bulk of the JECS ECU reverse engineered so I can graft
the driver circuits into the 332. I also wrote custom TPU code to work with
the Nissan optical trigger wheel. My goal (at first) is to have my mostly
stock SER run and drive at least as good as the stock ECU, if not better
while keeping all the emissions equipment working.

Jon Davis