Powder Coating Wheels

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 09:31:47 -0600

I have a set of stock NX2k wheels I'm planning on stripping and powder
coating (gonna buy one of those DIY powder kits).

I found some info on the web suggesting it was bad to powder coat stressed
aluminum parts, because the heat involved in baking it on (~400 dF) could
embrittle the aluminum.  Other sites had said no problem;  and I know some
wheel manufacturers claim their products are PC-ed.

Any of you metallurgist types have an opinion on this?  Could 25 minutes at
400 degrees weaken a wheel?

A secondary concern is the P.C. hide cracks that develop, but I'm not
concerned about that, as this is strictly a street car.

Or should I just paint the damn things?

    -Wayne  91 NK2k,  93 NX2k,  92 SE-R-Parts-Car