Recommendations for new struts

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu spdracer@mail.utexas.edu
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 14:26:29 -0600

> (I am currently chewing up the inside edge of the front>
> tires even though it is aligned correctly.)

Huh... I'm surprised that you're chewing up your tires.  The only time had the
prob while I was naturallly aspirated was when I had toe out.  I was running
around -1.7 degrees camber and still got even wear with 0 toe.  Right now
though, I'm running about -1.5 but I'm spinning 1st and 2nd gear with the turbo
so thats wearing out the inside edge :)  You might want to get an alignment
with you sitting in the car.

As for the suspension... well, if it's smooth roads... and if you have the
money, get a good suspension setup at ~$1500.  By good, I mean shortened
struts, Eibach ERS race springs (a good starting point is 300f/250r), and
adjustable camber plates.

If you're just looking at struts, KYB AGXs.  Those should work well with the
stock springs I think(though many people use them with much higher spring rate
springs and Ground Controls).  Might want to check with the local auto-x guys
as to what suspenion mods will place you in whatever class.  When I was auto-
xing, I had a set of cams which automatically put me in the most modified class
(internal engine mods), even though my suspension was still stock.  Needless to
say, it was a challenge!

Khiem
'96 SE-R