Exhaust Volumes v. RPM

Chi-Hui Tang chewy_tang@yahoo.com
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 01:09:10 -0600

Hi fellow LMs,

Maybe this is a rather simian question, but here it is anyway.  Does anyone
know of the exhaust volumes that come out of our cars relative to the rpm in
both NA and turbo motors?  Let's assume of NA motor, total displacement of
2.0L.  Air at sea level at room temp contains ~20% O2, right?  So that gives us
about 0.4L of O2 per cycle?  Now assuming full consumption of O2 during
combustion and we get what, 0.2L CO2 and 0.4L H2O gas (assume 100% efficiency)?
 So that's 1.5 fold volumetric increase, not counting the effect of the
increase in temperature on gaseous expansion.  How hot are exhaust gases when
they leave the pipes?  No clue.  Ok, so for a turbo system let's say we boost
double that of atmospheric at 14.7 psi.  That effectively doubles our intake
and exhaust volumes, right?  But I'm guessing that exhaust temps might be
higher in turbo systems?  So back to my original question, what do you think
the exhaust volumes are relative to rpm in NA and turbo motors?

Thanks for your patience.  :)  (swinging on a plantaine tree with an arm full
of banana chips)

Chi-Hui Tang
Houston, TX
'98 200SX SE-R