ECU question for the technically inclined...

Chris Pronios hpro@b-link.gr
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:23:53 -0500

> Hard to say for sure from the picture, but that appears to be
> a crystal which would be used to generate a clock frequency.
> Maybe they sped up the processor?

This is our guess too Steve but still....????

More pictures...
http://www.depa.gr/~1/ksanthou/image46.jpg
http://www.depa.gr/~1/ksanthou/image50.jpg
http://www.depa.gr/~1/ksanthou/image52.jpg
http://www.depa.gr/~1/ksanthou/image53.jpg
http://www.depa.gr/~1/ksanthou/image55.jpg

And is it actually that simple? I mean, does anyone have any experience with
"speeding-up" the processor on ANY ECU? How does this affect the functioning
of the ECU? Or the longevity of the engine/ECU?

If operations, interpretation of sensor-INPUT  to the ECU, etc. are
clock-dependent (as the rev limiter that moved way up in the stratosphere
seems to indicate) we should assume the same for the ECU OUTPUTS, correct?
How in h$ll does it calculate fuel, ignition advance etc. and sends the
commands to be executed?

Chris