What I did over my summer vacation

Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com Bruce_Hearn@cd-tech.com
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:24:18 -0500

Okay, not really. That was just to get past any filter Larry might have invoked
concerning the list discussion.

Here's my take:

I've been onboard since May-'98. I say, okay, this is not **THE** SE-R list
anymore. Fine, start calling it the Seminal SE-R list, or something to that
effect.  Don't promote it is the only SE-R list, promote as the first and best
SE-R list. Signal-to-noise ratio was pretty low for awhile, but with the advent
of the forums and the migration away of the noise makers, the Seminal SE-R list
has gotten good again.

Nissanforums is like the mall on a Saturday afternoon. Thousands of people
popping in-an-out of various unrelated stores. Noisy, random and busy. I might
occasionally bump into someone I know.

SR20DEForums is more like an SE-R National Convention. A few hundred people
walking, talking and promoting SE-Rs. I know quite a few of those people and we
have fun doing stuff. Lots of dynamic little crowds with participants drifting
in and out.

SE-R mailing list is like a coffee shop where a few dedicated owners show up
every evening to drink coffee and talk turkey. Quiet and rich in substance. Best
of all is a stenographer typing EVERYTHING down, making that available to all at
any time. The regional and specialized lists have made the Seminal SE-R list
better, in my opinion. This has increased signal-to-noise ratio for all the
lists in Larry's domain.

 I very much wish for Larry to reconsider. However, it IS his list and he can do
as he wishes.