OT: east coast

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:36:09 -0500

Nicholas Hadiaris wrote:

>Okay, given the uncertain future of the list, I thought I should get
>this question out sooner rather than later.  Next May, I'll have my
>engineering degree in hand and will be looking for a new place to
>live.
>         I'm trying to get together some information on good places
>to live on the East Coast that are in close proximity to a nice road-
>course (so I can finally learn to drive), a good nissan-friendly
>tuner or speed shop (so my car can keep up on the track), and its
>got to be near the ocean (so my girlfriend can go surfing.)
>         I'd really like to live in a mid sized town near a larger city,
>somewhere between North Carolina and New York.  I've lived in
>Maine my whole life so I don't really know anything about the mid-
>Atlantic region, but I know the members of this list live all over
>the country.  Think any of you from that area can give me some
>information?

Dude, there is only one region to look at:  DC/VA.  If I had to recommend a
city it would be Richmond.

First of all you have Rosen Auto Sport there.  Eric (Erik?) Rosen was a
long time list member (and may still be) and he is operating a great shop
that caters to and knows the SE-R quite well.  They actually are involved
in sanctioned racing rather than just auto-x or run whatcha brung drag racing.

You have Summit Point, Virginia International Raceway (VIR), Charlotte
Motor Speedway (CMS), and I think a couple of other tracks in close
proximity.  Within a day's drive (perhaps a long day) you can hit Watkins
Glen, Lime Rock Park (LRP), Mid-Ohio, and others.

You can be out of the city and into some of the most beautiful countryside
in less than 20 minutes in Richmond, and of course the beach is not far
away.  Add to that a number of list members and racers in the area.  For my
money you can't beat it.  Speaking of which, from a little bit of on-line
researching I did a few years back, the cost of living seems pretty good as
well.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
91 SE-R (well modded)
91 G20 turbo (well modded)
84 944 SCCA ITS race car under construction
<http://home.earthlink.net/~geo3/>