35 offset with 16x17.5

Chris Pronios hpro@b-link.gr
Thu, 29 Aug 2002 10:56:37 -0500

Yes George BUT...

We are physically measuring the mounting plate distance not from the
centerline but from the lip. The lip is the reference point.

Let me give an example:

16x6.5 wheel with 35mm offset.
Calculated width in mm is 6.5*25.4= 165.1mm.

If there was no lip at all (i.e. if the 6.5 inches  were the outside width
of the rim) then the actual distance of the outer edge of the rim to the
mounting plate would be (165.1 / 2) - 35 = 47.55mm and this is exactly what
would be measured by the ruler on the rim.

Working backwards we would get the 35mm offset.

Again remember that the lip is our initial reference point, not the
centerline. In order to "place" the centerline in our lip-referenced system,
we need at least another "fixed" point in space.

Now, assume there is a lip, lets say 10mm (I exagerrate here but any number
will do).
If the real offset is 35mm, the real distance from the lip (the one that we
will measure) should actually be 47.55+10=57.55mm. Which is reasonable since
we know that the real distance from the mounting plate to the inner edge of
the lip is 47.55mm.

Starting with a 57.55mm with no other measurement and using the math we will
get (161.5/2)-57.55 = 25 for the offset. Ooops...

Chris