Crunching sound from rear.

Peter Grell grellp001@hawaii.rr.com
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:04:58 -0500

Hello all,
  This is my first post after discovering this list and my first odd
occurrence with my car ('99 SE Limited).  I washed it a couple days ago and it
didn't move again until I drove it today, but when I started to roll today it
made a terrible crunching sound from the rear.  I'm thinking that after I
washed it and let it sit for awhile, that maybe the e-brake rusted a little
and caused it to stick.  I'm not convinced of this however because the noise
was quite loud, enough so to startle both myself and the kids in the back
seat!  They thought I hit something, but I didn't (made sure of that ;).  Has
anyone else had their e-brake stick on them and if so, was it that loud?  Any
other ideas on what it could be?  Since it came from the back of the car, that
sort of limits the possibilities, which is a good thing I guess.  Could it
have been something in the suspension?  I checked it all out before continuing
and everything looks good, but it's still driving me crazy thinking I may have
busted something loose.  And just to clarify, no, the e-brake was not applied
when I started to drive.  Thanks for any thoughts you may have!
Pete