QR25 Throttle Not opening

Mark Holden mnse-r@vectorworld.com
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:17:20 -0500

I have to agree.  If they wanted to restrict the throttle opening to
increase fuel economy, I'm pretty certain it would simply be with a
smaller bore.  Why mickey mouse around with valves that only use 85%
of their range of motion?  Sounds like a good way to get buildup and
have the butterfly start sticking at WOT (wait, don't the QR's already
do that?).

I think that the most reasonable answer is that the ECU considers
anything over 80% "WOT" and that at a reading of 85%, the butterfly is
indeed open all the way.  You simply aren't going to precisely
calibrate the TPS to 100% as given the range of variables (heat,
vibration, etc) would require re-calibration of the sensor all the
time.

I think this is a lot of fuss over nothing.

>>From what I am told by certain individuals who are presently working
on
>> reprogramming ECUs for these, this is a "feature" to help with fuel
economy.

> Of all of the inexplicable rumors, this one is very close
> to the top of the list.  I just can't accept this as an answer.

-Mark Holden (who granted, does not own a QR25).