Problem idling while coasting

Jon Davis jfdavis@epix.net
Tue, 9 Jul 2002 20:05:17 -0500

Peter Jackson wrote:

> The tranny has a neutral position switch that lets the ecu know when you
> are in gear. While in gear, the idle will be higher by design. The ecu
> wants a few extra rpm headstart for when you step on the gas.:)

Nope. Go out to your car and try putting the car in & out of gear while
sitting in the parking lot. Your idle does not jump to 1500 when you stick
it in gear. Not one of my 3 Nissans does that. It is true that while you are
above a certain speed, the base idle is bumped up a bit, but certainly not
to 1500 rpm. The idle is bumped to provide better vacuum assist for braking,
so neutral is irrelevant. My vote is Donovan has a clutch problem.

Jon Davis