3M window weld and Cure Time

Eric Seppanen eds@reric.net
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 15:45:17 -0500

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 03:35:56PM -0500, Ben Davis wrote:

> I have since pulled the window weld from this mount. I have a full set of 4
> mounts that I have removed the rubber from and, hopefully soon along with my
> current 92 SE-R mounts, hope to fill them in with 94 shore urethane.

That's "94 shore A", not "94 shore".

How did you get the rubber out?  That's the biggest problem.  I've
attacked mine with cutting tools, which is difficult and dulls blades
quickly.  I've also tried a propane torch, which makes an amazing stench
as well as lots of black smoke (enough to piss off the neighbors, anyway).
I've never come close to getting back to bare metal, which is what I think
you'd really need.

If there were a straightforward way of removing the factory rubber from
the mounts, I think homemade urethane mounts would be a lot better.  But
no matter what I tried, the urethane would always separate and slowly get
squeezed out the side.

The only idea I can think of is perhaps drilling holes in the outside of
the mount and sticking in screws or bolts before pouring in the urethane,
to provide it with something to "hang on" to, so it can't squeeze out
sideways.